Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Newfound patriotism.

I've always been somewhat ashamed of being an Australian. Now I know that's a harsh thing to say and many senior citizens would want to chase me down on their motorised scooters and beat me sensless with walking canes for making such a statement but thems the facts. As far as I was concerned, I had no reason to be proud to be Australian -- wars were senseless to me, I always saw our colonisation as more of an invasion and I thought our country was packed to the rafters with bogans.

Now, while I still think a lot of these things, my perceptions have somewhat... shifted.

The last six months have taught me a lot. Like how logistically our country could not have been a simple dumping ground for convicts. Like how there's no evidence that the Darwin bombing were never an intended invasion as everybody seems to think. All of this has come from studying history and it's actually made me realise how important our nations history is and why I should be at least a little proud. A little understanding goes a long way, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment